Hi, my name is Jenn. I’m recruiting for a one-to-one support to work with my son who is a bright energetic eleven year old who is an autistic ADHDer with sensor processing differences.
Term time only (Derby City school holidays), based in our home and around Derby City.
Tuesday afternoon 1345 to 1645
All day Thursday 0930 to 1630
The role is employed, on a PAYE basis, £13.00 per hour, with tax, NI, holiday pay and pension covered. The successful candidate would hold an enhanced DBS or be prepared to secure one.
The successful candidate would need to be a driver within their own vehicle as the role involves taking M to planned activities in the Derby area. Mileage is paid at £0.45 per mile. Business insurance would be required for role related transportation.
I am looking for an individual with experience and understanding of the needs of autistic children and young people. This could be gained professionally, via education or qualifications or caring or parenting for similar children. The role involves spending time with my son (day/times are non-negotiable) in our home, the community in Derby, his dad’s horticultural land in Spondon and accompanying him to planned activities, rock climbing on a Tuesday afternoon and swimming on a Thursday morning. The role is during term time only so would fit well with anyone working around their own family commitments. Beyond the planned activities (swimming and rock climbing) the role’s requirements are flexible. Planning and managing activities to purposely fill the remainder of the day is essential.
Professional qualifications in child care, education or a relevant related field would be beneficial, however a lack of these would not be an issue for the right person, as the fit between my son and an ability to build a relationship is key to it’s success.
The successful candidate would develop a close bond and understanding of my son, his triggers, moods and needs. They would be able to work closely with our family, and integrate into a busy household with discretion and confidence at all times. It is essential that you are able to work in our home and within our family unit, taking input and participation from family members when and where required or desired, along with an ability to manage M on your own as you will spend time around parents who are working during the role’s hours.
My son is a very bright young man with a wide variety of interests. One day you might be playing with lego or building amazing creations in Minecraft, the next visiting a museum or historic building. The following are requirements for the role, however flexibility within it is required, according to what M needs and can manage on a day-to-day basis.
- Developing an awareness of what calms, alerts, and triggers M and use this to support him and ensure he is able to complete his activities calmly and with confidence.
- Supporting M to understand what to expect in new situations as much as possible.
- Monitoring M food intake and providing a snack or drink if he needs it and at meal times. providing wherever possible a healthy balance of food (he likes sweet stuff!).
- Allowing M a sense of control and being prepared to negotiate.
- Acting as a point of contact between parents and the providers of swimming and rock climbing activities in the first instance.
- Planning and developing a range of engaging/educational activities inside and outside our home within the local area to Derby (all costs covered by parents in advance).
- Supporting M with age-appropriate chores and encouraging independence wherever possible, within the scope of his capacity.
- Providing M with choices within work/day so that he is taking the lead
- Preparing and readying for what is happening next e.g., ‘in five minutes we will be stopping
our playing lego and getting ready to go out.’
- Being aware of the kinds of situations M finds anxiety provoking, for example noisy
environments: providing support at these times.
Preparing Mylo for changes, to activities and alerting to transitions which are coming up.
- Having fun and enjoying yourself together!
I would really love to be able to offer this role to someone who is working around other commitments. If you would like to know more or have a chat, please give me call on 07948 554 136, or email me with a CV at firstname.lastname@example.org.