I am an experienced speaker, who can engage across a variety of subjects, including autistic experience, mental health and distress, disability, gender, sexuality and women’s sexual health. Below is a list of my most recent engagements:
- Scottish Women’s Autism Network, May 2020, Covid-19 webinar on mental health and wellness.
- Autism Dialogue Conference 2018, Sheffield, December 2018. As a participant in the 2018 programme of Autism Dialogue organised by Jonny Drury I was invited to speak about how the dialogical process has affected me. Read my blog post on the conference here.
- Autgensex ‘Intimate Lives’ Conference, University of Birmingham | British Sociological Association, May 2018. After submitting an abstract I was invited to speak about my intimate and sensory experiences and the stigma I have experienced resulting from this dovetailing of these in unexpected ways (Video here, please note there are not work safe images).
- Sexual Health and Disability Alliance, March 2018. SH&DA chair Claire de Than invited me to contribute to a special meeting of SH&DA examining the experience of sexuality and relationships for autistic individuals, where I spoke alongside sex therapist Tuppy Owens. The event minutes, with full details, are available here.
- NHS England, Skipton House, December 2017. I was invited by Luke O’Shea (Director of Clinical Policy and Operations) to speak alongside Sir Bruce Keogh and autism researcher Will Mandy to raise awareness of autism within NHS England.
- Integrated Personal Commissioning ‘IPC Residential’, November 2017. I spoke to the annual IPC gathering of teams from across England involved in implementing IPC alongside other lived experience advisors.
- Institute of Mental Health’s World Mental health Day event ‘Mad Carnival’, October 2017. I was invited to speak about mental health and give a hula hoop performance by the event organiser, Dr Julie Gosling. Photos and more information is available here, in the IMH newsletter.
- South Derbyshire CCG film, October 2017. I was filmed talking about my experience of receiving a Personal Health Budget and the dramatic improvement to my mental health that resulted. The full video is available, here, on YouTube.
- Derbyshire Community Healthcare Foundation Trust Board Meeting, September 2017. I was invited by the Trust’s Director of Patient Experience to speak about my experience with the family planning clinic that the trust provides in Derby City. As a result, I also spoke to the Family Planning Team about recognising and making accommodations for autistic service users.